Friday, August 12, 2005

Guest cat

A popular topic at this year's Worldcon was blogging and whether or not it's worth a writer's time (or is one more form of procrastination). A young woman (Anna) offered me a suggestion for my blog. She said that if I really wanted to draw readers, I should have cats appear on it. I think that's a sound idea, so I'm going to begin featuring a Cat of the Month, or something like that. Here's the first--Calgary.

Calgary, like her human Pat, is an ex-pat from Kansas. I first met her in 1994 while on a cross-country road trip with my daughter. Even as a kitten Calgary exhibited a discriminating taste in humans. A year or so later, when her family moved to London, she was forced to spend the obligatory six months in quarantine lockdown as part of England's attempt to prevent rabies from entering the country. She handled quarantine with great equanimity and emotional balance. Now she resides in North London with Pat and Chris, Helen, and Rob and, frankly, rules the house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am going to tell all of my cat-loving friends to visit this blog! Calgary is adorable. She looks like she's adopted a very British attitude--proper and unfazable.

Anonymous said...

The Queen said to thank you for your thoughtfulness. She feels honoured. She also feels that she deserves to be honoured. Right now, she is sleeping on my clothes.

Did you know that she was 11 years old on Valentine's Day?