Sunday, March 26, 2006

Ice Art

If you've been thinking about visiting Alaska in the winter but never knew why, here's one good reason.



Daughter Kalina and friend Monika and I went to the Ice Art park last night, the last weekend before the park closes (and sculptures bulldozed, lest they melt and fall on people). I'll bet most readers of this blog won't know that Fairbanks is a stop on the world ice sculpting circuit. Our sculpture park draws ice artists from all the ice hotspots, including Russia, China, Germany, and France.

Not that these babies are in any real danger of melting any time soon. We have had such a cold gloomy March.



Here are Monika and Kalina. I left the red eye in because it seemed to fit. Sorry, girls.



Here's a detail of a much larger piece. The lighting itself is artistry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't tell how cold it was from this picture of us. But it was a great evening!
--Monika

Anonymous said...

All I can say is wow. Magical, surreal...I had no idea that ice sculptures could look so amazing. Of course I live in the OC, sand castles is as close as I get to ice sculptures.